Dr. Bruce A. Johnson is proud to announce the release of his brand new book: Transform Online Teaching: Expert Strategies and Essential Resources Every Educator Needs. Every online instructor needs a set of tools, techniques, and strategies to make the process of teaching an online class more effective. Whether you are a first time online instructor or a seasoned professional, there is something you will likely find beneficial for your work within this new book.
Dr. J has been involved in the field of distance learning for over 11 years and his roles have included Chief Academic Officer, online instructor, faculty mentor and trainer, faculty reviewer, and faculty workshop facilitator.
This book was written to provide educators with a professional development opportunity from an academic leader and innovative educator. You can choose to read it from beginning to end, or you can choose a chapter to review at the start of each course you are assigned to teach. You may also find it useful to review specific topics of interest after you have conducted a self-assessment at the end of a class.
The following is an excerpt from the Introduction:
The purpose of this book is to provide you with strategies and resources that I have learned and implemented throughout my career, working as an online educator, faculty development specialist, and Chief Academic Officer. Over the past ten years I have interviewed, hired, trained, mentored, and reviewed the performance of hundreds of online faculty members.
This book was written to provide you with a professional development opportunity. You can choose to read it from beginning to end, or you can choose a chapter to review at the start of each course you are assigned to teach. You may also find it useful to review specific topics of interest after you have conducted a self-assessment at the end of a class.
My hope is that you are inspired as an online educator to develop engaging instructional practices, connect with students in a meaningful manner, and perform your very best.
Dr. Bruce A. Johnson
The following is a list of the primary chapter for this book:
- CHAPTER 1. Becoming Visible in a Virtual Class
- CHAPTER 2. Working with Online Students
- CHAPTER 3. The Impact of Student Beliefs
- CHAPTER 4. Learning in a Virtual Environment
- CHAPTER 5. Online Class Discussions
- CHAPTER 6. Student-Centered Strategies
- CHAPTER 7. Online Teaching Challenges
- CHAPTER 8. Online Teaching Best Practices
- CHAPTER 9. Professional Development
- CHAPTER 10. Excellence in Online Teaching
- CHAPTER 11. Working as an Online Instructor
CHAPTER 1. BECOMING VISIBLE IN A VIRTUAL CLASS
- The Need for a Strong Virtual Presence
- A Change in the Format of Learning
- How to Become Visible in a Virtual Classroom
- Interactions Matter More Than Ever
- Establishing a Positive Online Instructional Image
CHAPTER 2. WORKING WITH ONLINE STUDENTS
- Getting to Know Online Students Requires Effort
- Build Relationships with Students that Matter
- Become an Advocate for Your Students
- How to Work with Uncooperative Students
- Why Online Students Fail Their Classes
- 6 Strategies to Help Students Overcome the Risk of Failure
- Why Students Need to Trust Their Instructors
- End of Course Evaluations
CHAPTER 3. THE IMPACT OF STUDENT BELIEFS
- Student Beliefs and Learning
- What Do You Believe about Your Students?
- Help Students Nurture Positive Beliefs
CHAPTER 4. LEARNING IN A VIRTUAL ENVIRONMENT
- What Makes an Online Class "Real" to Students?
- What it Means to Create an Online Learning Environment
- Conditions that Promote Virtual Learning
- How to Create Online Group Work
CHAPTER 5. ONLINE CLASS DISCUSSIONS
- How to Help Students Engage in Discussions
- How to Engage the Mind of Your Students
- Managing Diversity in Online Classes
CHAPTER 6. STUDENT-CENTERED STRATEGIES
- How Do You Nurture a Supportive Approach to Instruction?
- Developing Student-Centered Strategies
- The Importance of Consistency in Teaching
- Take Action When Students Aren't Engaged in Class
- How to Diagnose the Needs of Your Students
CHAPTER 7. ONLINE TEACHING CHALLENGES
- Be Prepared for the Unique Challenges of Online Teaching
- What to Do When Online Teaching Becomes Challenging
- Poor Student Writing: What is an Instructor to Do?
- Academic Honesty and Plagiarism
CHAPTER 8. ONLINE TEACHING BEST PRACTICES
- Fundamental Online Teaching Best Practices
- Develop Critical Online Teaching Strategies
- Five Strategies Every Online Instructor Needs
- Insight from a Faculty Reviewer
CHAPTER 9. PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT
- Why Educators Need Professional Development
- Strategies to Use for Professional Development
- What Inspires You to Teach?
- Every Educator Needs a Teaching Philosophy
CHAPTER 10. EXCELLENCE IN ONLINE TEACHING
- How to Develop Excellence in Online Teaching
- Maintaining Excellence When Challenged
- Rewards of Online Teaching
CHAPTER 11. WORKING AS AN ONLINE INSTRUCTOR
- The Work of an Online Adjunct Instructor
- Creating a Work Life Balance
- Time Management Strategies
- Stress Management Strategies
- What it Means to Be a Modern Educator
- Advice from a Modern Educator
Special Sale: Transform Online Teaching is available for anyone that is interested in teaching online courses and it is on sale this month for $7, plus $3.00 flat shipping fee for shipping to the United States. (The original cost was $19.99). The downloadable PDF version has also been reduced from $10 to only $5.
What Customers are Saying:
Dr. Jenkins: "Your books have helped me become a better instructor."
Neisa: "This was actually my second copy. I purchased my first copy for my Kindle, this copy is for my husband because the publication was so profound and relative to what I do on a daily basis. I know that he will benefit from this publication as well. Thank you for this great resource."
© 2016 (220 pages)
Discounts will be offered for large orders. Use the contact form to Dr. J.
About Dr. J
Dr. J has been working in the field of higher education and distance learning since 2005, with roles that have included Chief Academic Officer, online instructor, college instructor, and online faculty development specialist. Dr. J has also acquired significant experience with instructional design and curriculum development, having developed hundreds of online courses for bachelors, masters, and doctorate programs.
Dr. J has also published 183 online articles related to adult education, higher education, distance learning, online teaching, and career development. Prior to working in the field of higher education, Dr. J worked in a corporate environment as a manager of a training and development team.
Dr. Bruce A. Johnson is a professional writer, resume writer, learning and development consultant, social media strategist, and career coach. Dr. J founded Afforded Quality Writing in 2003 and has written hundreds of resumes every year in most industries, utilizing a skill set based approach to highlight the best of each person's career.
To learn more about Dr. Bruce A. Johnson, please visit the following resources:
Dr. J's online article page: http://tinyurl.com/k7j5t69
Dr. J authored the following publications:
Appreciative Andragogy: Taking the Distance Out of Distance Learning: Appreciative inquiry has been translated by Dr. J for use in online classes as an instructional strategy. This is applicable for any class or subject. Order your autographed copy today, and learn about additional resources. http://tinyurl.com/zr8al43
Click Like on Dr. J's Facebook pages and you'll receive updates with important resources for online teaching, distance learning, and higher education, along with career advice, job tips, and other helpful career resources.