Dr. Bruce A. Johnson has been working in the field of higher education and distance learning since 2005, with roles which included Chief Academic Officer, Faculty Development Manager, Core Faculty, Doctoral Mentor and Committee Member, and Faculty Development Specialist. Dr. J's background also includes work as a Human Performance Improvement Consultant, and prior to 2005, he was a Manager of Training and Development.
Dr. Bruce A. Johnson is an inspirational author, writer, and educator. Dr. J's life's mission to teach, mentor, write, and inspire others.
The following provides an outline of Dr. J's education and experience:
- Academic Educator: 16+ years of online teaching experience.
- Advanced Education: Ph.D. Postsecondary and Adult Education, Certificate in Training and Performance Improvement, and a Master's in Business Administration, MBA.
- Manager of Faculty Development: Trained and mentored new faculty, developed and led faculty development classes and workshops, and served as a faculty performance reviewer.
- Academic Leader: Served as Chief Academic Officer and Dean, Dissertation Mentor, Faculty Development Manager, and Faculty Director.
- Student Success Coach, Facilitator: Served as Student Workshop Facilitator, Student Success Coach, New Student Orientation Facilitator
- Corporate Training Experience: 10+ years of organizational learning and development experience, including Manager of Training and Development.
- Curriculum Development Experience: Extensive experience developing courses and curriculum, including development of graduate and undergraduate courses.
- Scholarly Contributions:
- Published Journal Article: The Journal of Asynchronous Learning Networks (JALN), Vol. 18, No 3 (2014), October 2014, ISSN 1939-5256
- Conference Presentation: Transformation of Online Teaching Practices through Implementation of Appreciative Inquiry: 21ST Annual Online Learning Consortium International Conference, October 14, 2015
- Published Author: Four books and 230+ online articles related to adult education, distance learning, online teaching, and career development.
- LMS Experience: Worked with online classroom platforms that include WebCT, eCollege, Canvas, Sakai, Moodle, Educator, Desire2Learn, and Blackboard.
Stephen Shank Recognition, Excellence in Teaching
March 2020 March 2021
The Stephen Shank Recognition honors teaching or mentoring excellence by a Capella faculty member for making a significant difference in a learner's pathway to success. This recognition is named for Stephen Shank, who co-founded Capella with a vision for high-quality adult education. His passion, values and purpose to help learners succeed, drives our faculty to carry this out in everyday teaching and mentoring interactions.
Dr. J published the following resources:
- Transform Adult Education: Expert Teaching Strategies for Educators,
- Transform Online Teaching: Expert Strategies and Essential Resources Every Educator Needs,
- Appreciative Andragogy: Taking the Distance Out of Distance Learning,
- Getting Down to Business: A Handbook for Adjunct Faculty Who Teach Business
To learn more about these transformative professional development resources, please visit: http://www.drbruceajohnson.com/resources-and-store
To learn more about Dr. Bruce A. Johnson, please visit:
What is provided is just a sample of the emails sent to the Dean of the School of Education at Capella University, along with commentary provided by students of Dr. Bruce A. Johnson during 2020 and 2021.
Read just a few of the comments Capella faculty shared when they learned Dr. J's faculty position had been eliminated in December 2021.
Selected by the Dean to represent the School of Education for development of a video for The Center for Faculty Excellence about the Top 6 Soft Skills for Capella University Faculty. [Completed and now permanent part of The Center for Faculty Excellence.]