Dr. Bruce A. Johnson has been working in the field of higher education and distance learning since 2005, with roles which included Chief Academic Officer, Faculty Development Manager, Core Faculty, Doctoral Mentor and Committee Member, and Faculty Development Specialist. Dr. J's background also includes work as a Human Performance Improvement Consultant, and prior to 2005, he was a Manager of Training and Development.
Dr. Bruce A. Johnson is an inspirational author, writer, and educator. Dr. J's life's mission to teach, mentor, write, and inspire others.
The following provides an outline of Dr. J's education and experience:
• 15+ years of advanced online teaching experience, including experience as a Dissertation Mentor, Committee Member, and Faculty Development Specialist.
• Experience using APA 7th edition style guidelines.
• Extensive experience developing courses and curriculum, including graduate and undergraduate courses.
• LMS Experience: WebCT, eCollege, Canvas, Sakai, Moodle, Educator, Desire2Learn, and Blackboard.
• 15+ years of corporate experience, including Manager of Training and Development, Business Consultant, Career Coach, and Resume Writer.
• Ph.D. Postsecondary and Adult Education, Certificate in Training and Performance Improvement, and a Master's in Business Administration, MBA.
• Recipient of Capella University Stephen Shank Recognition, honoring teaching excellence (2020, 2021)
• Johnson, B. A. (2014). Transformation of online teaching practices through implementation of appreciative inquiry. Online Learning, 18(3). https://doi.org/10.24059/olj.v18i3.428
• Conference Presentation: Transformation of Online Teaching Practices through Implementation of Appreciative Inquiry: 21ST Annual Online Learning Consortium International Conference, Oct. 14, 2015
• Published author: Four books and 200+ online articles related to adult education, distance learning, online teaching, and career development.
Stephen Shank Recognition, Excellence in Teaching
March 2020 March 2021
The Stephen Shank Recognition honors teaching or mentoring excellence by a Capella faculty member for making a significant difference in a learner's pathway to success. This recognition is named for Stephen Shank, who co-founded Capella with a vision for high-quality adult education. His passion, values and purpose to help learners succeed, drives our faculty to carry this out in everyday teaching and mentoring interactions.
Dr. J published the following resources:
- Transform Adult Education: Expert Teaching Strategies for Educators,
- Transform Online Teaching: Expert Strategies and Essential Resources Every Educator Needs,
- Appreciative Andragogy: Taking the Distance Out of Distance Learning,
- Getting Down to Business: A Handbook for Adjunct Faculty Who Teach Business
To learn more about these transformative professional development resources, please visit: http://www.drbruceajohnson.com/resources-and-store
To learn more about Dr. Bruce A. Johnson, please visit:
What is provided is just a sample of the emails sent to the Dean of the School of Education at Capella University, along with commentary provided by students of Dr. Bruce A. Johnson during 2020 and 2021.
Dr. J was selected by the Dean to represent the School of Education for development of a video for The Center for Faculty Excellence about the Top 6 Soft Skills for Capella University Faculty. [Completed and now permanent part of The Center for Faculty Excellence.]