Every online instructor needs a set of tools, techniques, and strategies to make the process of teaching an online class more effective. Whether you are a first time online instructor or a seasoned professional, there is something you will likely find beneficial for your work within these books.
Educator Bundle: Appreciative Andragogy: Taking the Distance Out Of Distance Learning and Transform Online Teaching: Expert Strategies and Essential Resources Every Educator Needs are available for anyone who is interested in teaching online courses and transforming how they teach. Both are available, signed by the author, for $17.50 plus $2.50 flat shipping fee for shipping to the United States.
Please see the book descriptions below.
Transform Online Teaching: Expert Strategies and Essential Resources Every Educator Needs
Online teaching is not just about learning how to set up an online classroom and adding learning resources; it is a matter of how the class is taught and the manner of instruction used. To become an effective online instructor there must be thought given as to how the technological tools will be used, how to translate traditional communication into digital communication, and how to evolve from an instructor who stands in front of a class and directs the flow of conversations and interactions to someone who can facilitate and guide the learning process, while keeping students interested and engaged in the course.
Learning to teach online requires having an open mind and a willingness to learn, along with making an allowance for the time needed to implement new methods – while monitoring instructional effectiveness until excellence is achieved.
The purpose of this book is to provide you with strategies and resources that I have learned and implemented throughout my career, working as an online educator, faculty development specialist, Faculty Director, Faculty Manager, Dean, and Chief Academic Officer. For over ten years I have interviewed, hired, trained, mentored, and reviewed the performance of hundreds of online faculty members.
This book was written to provide you with a professional development opportunity. You can choose to read it from beginning to end, or you can choose a chapter to review at the start of each course you are assigned to teach. You may also find it useful to review specific topics of interest after you have conducted a self-assessment at the end of a class.
My hope is that you are inspired as an online educator to develop engaging instructional practices, connect with students in a meaningful manner, and perform your very best.
The following list provides the chapters that are within this book.
- CHAPTER 1. BECOMING VISIBLE IN A VIRTUAL CLASS
- CHAPTER 2. WORKING WITH ONLINE STUDENTS
- CHAPTER 3. THE IMPACT OF STUDENT BELIEFS
- CHAPTER 4. LEARNING IN A VIRTUAL ENVIRONMENT
- CHAPTER 5. ONLINE CLASS DISCUSSIONS
- CHAPTER 6. STUDENT-CENTERED STRATEGIES
- CHAPTER 7. ONLINE TEACHING CHALLENGES
- CHAPTER 8. ONLINE TEACHING BEST PRACTICES
- CHAPTER 9. PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT
- CHAPTER 10. EXCELLENCE IN ONLINE TEACHING
- CHAPTER 11. WORKING AS AN ONLINE INSTRUCTOR
© 2016 (220 pages)
Appreciative Andragogy: Taking the Distance Out Of Distance Learning
Are you teaching online classes and interested in an instructional strategy that could help to strengthen your relationships with students, while also influencing their level of performance, motivation, and engagement?
The online classroom does not change the basic principles of adult learning; rather the format of adult learning has changed when it becomes enabled by the use of technology. However, the online classroom may change the nature of the student's involvement. A student's need for self-motivation and taking responsibility for their involvement in class may be greater with an online classroom.
The online student's engagement in the class is usually encouraged through the use of discussion boards and asynchronous interactions with his or her instructor. Performance in an online classroom environment is based upon the student's work product, whether this is accomplished through learning activities or written assignments. Depending upon the level of involvement by the instructor and the student, it may easy for a student to experience a sense of disconnection from the class and his or her instructor.
Another environment where issues of individual motivation, engagement and performance are studied can be found within the organizational setting. These issues are considered essential factors of a successful employee and lead to improved overall organizational performance. The field of organizational development has produced numerous theories of employee development and one theory that addresses development from a positive frame of reference is appreciative inquiry.
Appreciative inquiry has been successfully utilized within organizations and has demonstrated an ability to affect individual motivation, engagement, and performance. Due to this success of appreciative inquiry and its ability to impact individuals as well as organizations, it has the potential to be adapted to other environments, including the online classroom environment. As an instructional method, appreciative inquiry has a potential to help bridge the gap between the instructor and student within an online classroom. Appreciative inquiry also has the potential to assist in the development of positive working relationships, which in turn may improve the student's motivation, engagement, and performance.
Dr. J developed an innovative approach to online teaching with an instructional strategy called Appreciative Andragogy. This takes Appreciative Inquiry, an organizational developmental strategy, and combines it with the principle of teaching adults called Andragogy.
Appreciative Andragogy emphasizes the positive nature of adult learning and the enhanced view of self that will occur through supportive interactions with an instructor. Through the use of appreciative andragogy as an instructional method, the instructor may have a tool that can build nurturing relationships and increase the instructor's presence within an online classroom environment. With a positive approach to student development the student is likely to experience a greater sense of motivation, engagement in the classroom, and improved performance overall.
Now you can learn about this innovative instructional strategy in Dr. J's book, Appreciative Andragogy: Taking the Distance Out of Distance Learning.
Appreciative Andragogy: Overview
The book that I have self-published is based upon my dissertation and follows the journey that took as a doctoral student, from the initial research conducted to the research study and then finally the conclusion and recommendations.
The following list provides the chapters that are within this book.
- Chapter 1: Introduction – This chapter included a background of the study, a statement of the problem, and the research questions. This establishes a broad overview of the entire book.
- Chapter 2: Literature Review – Within this chapter I have provided an overview of the research conducted. The areas of research that I was especially interested in included online learning and appreciative inquiry.
- Chapter 3: Methodology – This chapter described in detail the development of a research study and the research questions to be answered, and provides information about the research participants and the research site.
- Chapter 4: Data Collection and Analysis – The research study was developed as a case study and this chapter presents a summary of each of the nine participants, along with a final case study summary. Within this chapter you will find out what it was like to test Appreciative Andragogy as an instructional strategy.
- Chapter 5: Results, Conclusions, and Recommendations – This chapter provided a final summary and overview of the research study, along with a discussion of the results and how they are transferable to the entire online teaching population.
You can read the complete details of Dr. J's research and learn how this can enhance your facilitation practice by purchasing your copy of the book.
Dr. J has presented his research findings in the following:
- Published in the Online Learning Journal: The results of Dr. J's research study were published as a scholarly peer-reviewed journal article in the Online Learning Journal, formerly the Journal of Asynchronous Networks (JALN), October 2014. (Vol. 18, No 3, October 2014, ISSN 1939-5256)
- Presented at an International Online Learning Conference: Dr. J presented his research and a method of applying appreciative andragogy to any online class at the 21st Annual Online Learning Consortium International Conference, October 2015, Transformation of Online Teaching Practices Through Implementation of Appreciative Inquiry.
© 2013 (262 pages)
What Customers are Saying:
- Dr. Jenkins: "Your books have helped me become a better instructor."
- Neisa: "This was actually my second copy. I purchased my first copy for my Kindle, this copy is for my husband because the publication was so profound and relative to what I do on a daily basis. I know that he will benefit from this publication as well. Thank you for this great resource."
About Dr. Johnson
Dr. Johnson has worked in the field of higher education and distance learning since 2005. He specializes in distance learning, adult education, faculty development, online teaching, career management, and career development. Dr. J has a Ph.D. in Postsecondary and Adult Education, a Certificate in Training and Performance Improvement, and a Master of Business Administration, MBA. Presently Dr. J is a Core Faculty member for one of the premiere online universities, fulfilling his life's mission to teach, mentor, write, and inspire others.
As a scholar practitioner, Dr. J was published in a scholarly journal and he has been a featured presenter at an international distance learning conference. He has also published over 200 online articles about adult learning, higher education, distance learning, online teaching, and career development.
About Affordable Quality Writing
Dr. J founded Afforded Quality Writing in 2003 to offer skill-based resume writing and strengths-based career coaching. Dr. J helps hundreds of clients each year by providing a well-written and highly effective resume, along with instilling in them a renewed self-confidence and sense of purpose.
To learn more about Dr. Bruce A. Johnson, please visit the following resources: