Are you interested in becoming an online instructor?
Are you just beginning your career as an online instructor?
Or would you like to advance your current online teaching practice?
If so, there is a brand new program that has been developed by The Center for Advanced Professional Development. This was created by Dr. Bruce A. Johnson, who has extensive experience with online teaching, course development and curriculum design, along with faculty development experience.
There are many resources available for online instructors but there is one place where you can find classes that will provide what you need for your professional development: The Center for Advanced Professional Development.
Professional development is an important aspect of a person's career development. Every employer expects that their employees will continue to learn and acquire new knowledge. For many careers this means taking courses, webinars, and even enrolling in degree programs. Some employers still offer tuition reimbursement; however, the amount available for employees has been decreasing significantly across many industries over the past few years. If you are an educator and work in the field of higher education, ongoing professional development is a requirement.
The question then becomes a matter of how to find quality sources for professional development courses, and more importantly, at an affordable cost. It is from this need that the Center for Advanced Professional Development was created, to provide high-quality, affordable courses that cover a wide range of subjects. These courses have been developed by Dr. Bruce A. Johnson, an innovative educator with extensive experience in the field of higher education, distance learning, online teaching, faculty development, and career development.
Dr. J is now offering this Master Certificate Program: Prepare for Online Teaching as a Career.
This Master Certificate Program consists of three courses:
- Take the Distance Out of Distance Learning
- Advanced Online Teaching Strategies
- Adult Education Basics for Instructors
Take the Distance Out of Distance Learning
- This is a unique course that is based upon Dr. J's dissertation study and research. Dr. J developed Appreciative Andragogy during his doctoral studies, with his intention of creating a new instructional strategy for online teaching. The phrase Appreciative Andragogy is a combination of Appreciative Inquiry (an organizational developmental strategy) and Andragogy (the principle of teaching adults). The result of Dr. J's work was a dissertation and research study titled, Appreciative Andragogy: Taking the Distance Out of Distance Learning. The findings of the research study were published in the Online Learning journal, formerly the Journal of Asynchronous Learning Networks, October 2014. Dr. J presented these results at the 2015 Online Learning Consortium International Conference, October 2015.
- This course is the study of distance learning and the application of appreciative inquiry, an organizational development tool, as an instructional strategy called appreciative andragogy. This course presents an online teaching method that any instructor can implement in any online class to increase their instructional effectiveness, build working relationships with students, increase the student retention rate, and improve student performance, motivation, and engagement in the class. One of the important aspects of this course is the application of the topics to practical classroom facilitation. This is a university quality course that will allow you to work with Dr. J one-one-one, as he provides mentoring and guidance with each assignment submitted.
- The course scope provides an in-depth exploration of distance learning challenges; appreciative inquiry background; appreciative inquiry transformed into appreciative andragogy for online teaching, and a step-by-step method of developing an instructional strategy that implements appreciative andragogy.
Advanced Online Teaching Strategies
- Have you taught online courses and wanted to develop your online teaching skills further? This course provides the professional development you need to be a successful online instructor. This course is the study of online teaching practices for instructors who have experience with the facilitation of online classes, from beginning to advanced experience.
- This course presents advanced teaching strategies that will enhance any online instructor's practice and help to create the development of conditions that promote learning in the classroom. One of the important aspects of this course is the application of the topics to practical classroom facilitation. This is a university quality that has been designed in the same manner as courses taken with online schools.
- The course scope includes a brief overview of the basics and then provides an in-depth exploration of the following topics: utilizing interactive resources, providing feedback that matters, cultivating engaging discussions, establishing a virtual presence, addressing academic honesty, effective communication, creating optimal class conditions, encouraging peak performance from students, working with uncooperative students, helping students who lack motivation, developing student centered strategies, and time management essentials.
Adult Education Basics for Instructors
- How does an instructor transform their instructional practice and become a highly engaging and transformational educator? They accomplish this goal by learning adult education basics, which includes concepts, theories, and strategies. That was the journey that the creator of this course Dr. J was on when he decided to begin a master's degree, and then a doctorate degree, with a specialization in postsecondary and adult education. He discovered that the process of acquiring knowledge about adult learning was transformative, helping him evolve from an instructor to an educator or someone who can effectively teach adults and facilitate the adult learning process.
- This course is the study of the most relevant, applicable, and necessary adult education theories and principles that every instructor needs to be effective with the facilitation of their class and the learning process. This course presents adult education essentials that every educator needs to understand how students learn and how to promote learning, especially in the virtual classroom environment. One of the important aspects of this course is the application of the topics to practical classroom facilitation. This is a university quality course that has been designed in the same manner as courses taken with online schools.
- The course scope provides an in-depth exploration of the following adult education theories and principles: andragogy, self-directed learning, non-traditional students, what it means to learn, active learning, learning styles, knowledge acquisition, cognition and mental functions, critical thinking, student engagement, student beliefs and the impact on learning, and student motivation.
- These are online professional development courses and there is no formal classroom attendance requirement.
- In addition, there are no deadlines for each Lesson. You can work at your own pace.
- Each course has 12 Lessons. With each Lesson, there is a mini assignment that you submit to Dr. J via email for personalized, one-on-one mentoring and guidance. For each Lesson, there are also assigned resources to review and a detailed overview that was written by Dr. J. There is a final cumulative assignment that is an action plan for you to use and apply the concepts you have studied. There are no quizzes.
- As part of the fee, you will receive a complimentary, autographed copy of Dr. J's book that the following courses were built from: Take the Distance Out of Distance Learning, Advanced Online Teaching Strategies
One of the most important benefits of each of these classes is that you will be working directly with Dr. J for each course lesson. Dr. J will provide mentoring and guidance through feedback provided with all assignments.
The courses offered will provide you with a professional development opportunity, without having to make a significant investment or enrolling in a degree program. While CEUs are not offered, you will receive a certificate after the completion of each course and you can display your accomplishment on your resume.
Here's to discovering what you can learn,
Dr. Bruce A. Johnson
Take Advantage of Special Pricing: Prepare for Online Teaching as a Career Master Certificate Program
The individual cost of these three courses is $387.00. As part of this program you can purchase access to all three courses for only $299.00. (There are two payment options available)
Also included with this Master Certificate Program are two autographed books, sent to you at no additional cost, signed by Dr. J:
Please use the contact form if you have any questions: Contact Dr. J
About Dr. J
Dr. J has been working in the field of higher education and distance learning since 2005, with roles that have included Chief Academic Officer, online instructor, college instructor, and online faculty development specialist. Dr. J has also acquired significant experience with instructional design and curriculum development, having developed hundreds of online courses for bachelors, masters, and doctorate programs.
Dr. J has also published over 170 online articles related to adult education, higher education, distance learning, online teaching, and career development. Prior to working in the field of higher education, Dr. J worked in a corporate environment as a manager of a training and development team.
Dr. Bruce A. Johnson is a professional writer, resume writer, learning and development consultant, social media strategist, and career coach. Dr. J founded Afforded Quality Writing in 2003 and has written hundreds of resumes every year in most industries, utilizing a skill set based approach to highlight the best of each person's career.
Dr. J authored the following publications:
- Transform Online Teaching: Expert Strategies and Essential Resources Every Educator Needs: The purpose of this book is to inspire your work as an online educator, develop engaging instructional practices, connect with students in a meaningful manner, and perform your very best.
- Appreciative Andragogy: Taking the Distance Out of Distance Learning: Appreciative inquiry was translated by Dr. J for use in online classes as an online teaching instructional strategy. This is applicable for any class or subject.
- Getting Down to Business: A Handbook for Adjunct/Part-Time Faculty Who Teach Business: This provides faculty readers with the contents of a first-rate teaching workshop for a fraction of the price and joins The Part-Time Press catalog of best-selling professional development books for faculty. Part-Time Press books are used in thousands of faculty development programs throughout North America.
To learn more about these resources, please visit: http://tinyurl.com/z5wve3w
To learn more about Dr. Bruce A. Johnson, please visit the following resources:
Dr. J's LinkedIn article page: https://www.linkedin.com/today/author/drbrucej
Click Like on Dr. J's Facebook pages and you'll receive updates with important resources for online teaching, distance learning, and higher education, along with career advice, job tips, and other helpful career resources.