Available for Hire | Educator | Writer, Author | Expertise: Adult Education, Higher Education, Distance Learning
Dr. Bruce A. Johnson has been working in the field of higher education and distance learning since 2005, with roles that have included Chief Academic Officer, online instructor, college instructor, and online faculty development specialist. Dr. J has also acquired significant experience with instructional design and curriculum development, having developed hundreds of online courses for bachelors, masters, and doctorate programs.
Dr. J has also published over 170 online articles related to adult education, higher education, distance learning, online teaching, and career development. Prior to working in the field of higher education, Dr. J worked in a corporate environment as a manager of a training and development team.
Dr. Bruce A. Johnson is a professional writer, resume writer, learning and development consultant, social media strategist, and career coach. Dr. J founded Afforded Quality Writing in 2003 and has written hundreds of resumes every year in most industries, utilizing a skill set based approach to highlight the best of each person's career.
Please see Dr. J's resume below.
Higher Education Background
Experience with traditional college education and distance learning programs, including leadership roles held in higher education.
Served as Chief Academic Officer and Dean for Aston International University. Held leadership roles with University of Phoenix, involving online faculty development.
10+ years of online teaching experience, teaching undergraduate and graduate business, business management, adult education, and teaching with technology classes.
Faculty Development Specialist
Trained and mentored new faculty:
- Spent two weeks training and preparing the new faculty for their role as an online instructor.
- Mentored the new faculty as they taught their first class and prepared weekly review reports that offered coaching and feedback.
Evaluated online faculty through a peer review process:
- Reviewed all aspects of the course, including the course syllabi and adherence to school policies.
- Also, examined the class to ensure it was in compliance with accreditation guidelines.
Facilitated the following partial list of online faculty developmental workshops:
- Policy & Procedure Basics, Critical Thinking, Feedback that Makes a Difference, Facilitation, Grades & Feedback, New Students, Faculty Refresher, Tone, Classroom Assessment Techniques
Curriculum Development Experience
Extensive experience developing courses and curriculum for graduate and undergraduate programs, including faculty materials, presentations, and assessments.
- Developed BA, MBA, and DBA programs for Aston International University.
- Extensive experience developing instructor-led materials for corporate training classes, including facilitator guides, participant guides, presentations, and assessments.
Worked with online classroom platforms that include WebCT, eCollege, Canvas, Sakai, Moodle, Educator, Desire2Learn, and Blackboard.
Served on Leadership Committees
Leadership committees included: Accreditation Review and Readiness, Student Success, and Academic Preparedness.
Doctor of Philosophy, Ph.D. Specialization: Postsecondary & Adult Education, Capella University, Minneapolis, Minnesota (May 2010) 4.0 GPA
Certificate: Training & Performance Improvement, Capella University, Minneapolis, Minnesota (2005) 4.0 GPA
Master of Science, Education. Specialization: Postsecondary and Adult Education, Capella University, Minneapolis, Minnesota (2004) 4.0 GPA
Master of Business Administration (MBA), University of Phoenix, Las Vegas, Nevada (2000) 3.87 GPA
Published Journal Article: The Journal of Asynchronous Learning Networks (JALN), Vol. 18, No 3 (2014), October 2014, ISSN 1939-5256
Conference Presentation: Transformation of Online Teaching Practices through Implementation of Appreciative Inquiry: 21ST Annual Online Learning Consortium International Conference, October 14, 2015
- Published Author: Getting Down to Business: A Handbook for Adjunct/Part-Time Faculty Who Teach Business (Part-Time Press, 2015)
- Published Author: Transform Online Teaching: Expert Strategies and Essential Resources Every Educator Needs (CreateSpace, 2016)
- Published Author: Appreciative Andragogy: Taking the Distance Out of Distance Learning (CreateSpace, 2013)
Authored: 174 online articles related to adult education, distance learning, online teaching, and career development.
Corporate Training Experience
10+ years of organizational learning and development experience, including Manager of Training and Development.
Contact Dr. J:
Phone Number: 636-795-4137
To learn more about Dr. Bruce A. Johnson, please visit the following resources:
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/DrBruceJ
- LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/drbrucej
- Dr. J's LinkedIn article page: https://www.linkedin.com/today/author/drbrucej
Dr. J's Resume, References and Recommendations, and Teaching Philosophy Statement are provided below.