Dr. Bruce A. Johnson is an inspirational author, writer, and teacher.
Dr. Johnson's career has involved helping others learn, including people and organizations. His roles have included Manager of Training and Development, Human Performance Improvement Consultant, Online Instructor, Career Coach, Curriculum Developer, Manager of Faculty Development, and Chief Academic Officer.
Since 2005, Dr. J has specialized in distance learning, adult education, faculty development, online teaching, career management, career development, and human performance improvement. He has a Ph.D. in Postsecondary and Adult Education, a Certificate in Training and Performance Improvement, and a Master of Business Administration, MBA. Presently Dr. J is a Core Faculty member for one of the premiere online universities.
As a scholar practitioner, Dr. J was published in a scholarly journal and he has been a featured presenter at an international distance learning conference. He has also published books, eBooks, and over 200 online articles about adult learning, higher education, distance learning, online teaching, and career development, helping to fulfill his life's mission to teach, mentor, write, and inspire others.
Professor, School of Public Service & Education, Performance Improvement Leadership
- Teaching and Instruction – Core faculty are highly-engaged instructors in the courses and residencies they teach. They are sought out by learners and consistently exceed set expectations for faculty who teach courses at Capella.
- Doctoral Mentoring – Core faculty are highly knowledgeable about established dissertation and doctoral capstone processes and resources. They interact effectively with learners, are able to develop strong relationships, and offer guidance. They have demonstrated success in chairing and serving on doctoral committees. Core faculty facilitate highly-interactive dissertation and capstone course rooms and their learners are supported to timely completion of the dissertation or capstone product.
- Curriculum and Course Development – Core faculty are knowledgeable in the Capella course development process and have demonstrated the ability to work successfully with cross functional partners across Capella to plan and deliver high-quality course and curriculum in the area of their expertise.
- School and University Governance – Core faculty regularly demonstrate leadership roles in school and university governance. They willingly assume school and university committee roles as active participants and are effective in driving the positive impact of these governance structures. They are the role models and leaders among faculty and serve as peer mentors.
- Research and Scholarship – Core faculty stay current in their scholarly field(s) and demonstrate expertise through writing, speaking, and conference attendance. Core faculty are viewed by other faculty as thought leaders and share their expertise among their colleagues.
- Leadership through Team Engagement – Core faculty are expected to serve as models for all other faculty in their ability and willingness to take on essential roles and other duties as needed within the department, school or university.
Stephen Shank Recognition, March 2020
The Stephen Shank Recognition honors teaching or mentoring excellence by a Capella faculty member for making a significant difference in a learner's pathway to success. This recognition is named for Stephen Shank, who co-founded Capella with a vision for high-quality adult education. His passion, values and purpose to help learners succeed, drives our faculty to carry this out in everyday teaching and mentoring interactions.
Dissertation Mentor: Background includes serving as a coach and mentor for students who are working on dissertation and doctoral capstone projects, while supporting their progress as they complete their programs. Served on Dissertation Committees, providing meaningful feedback while guiding doctoral candidates.
Graduate Courses Taught: Research Methods in Management Science, Human Relations Communication, Strategic Management, Leading Teams, Human Resources Development & Training, Organizational Behavior, Facilitated an Action Research Master's Practicum and Integration Project, Comprehensive Examination Mentor
Undergraduate Courses Taught: Introduction to Business, Total Quality Operations Management, Principles of Marketing, Organizational Behavior, Entrepreneurship/Small Business Management, Personal Selling
Doctoral Courses Taught: Human Performance Needs Assessment, Intro Human Performance Improvement Systems, Dynamics of Organizational Improvement, Doctoral Capstone, Designing Training and Performance Solutions, Introduction to Training and Performance Systems, Designing, Delivering, Evaluating, Human Performance Improvement Interventions
Chief Academic Officer, Dean: Oversee program development and implementation of the BA, MBA, and DBA programs for an international online school. Collaborate with faculty in efforts to achieve key educational targets; monitoring and managing retention, maintaining compliance in academic areas, driving and assessing the effectiveness of current strategies, identifying areas for improvement, and making recommendations in support of institutional processes.
Faculty Director: Recruited, interviewed, hired, trained, mentored, and evaluated all online faculty. Motivated and empowered instructors to perform their very best by providing ongoing mentoring, coaching, feedback, and support. Provided one-on-one coaching for identification of mentoring needs and/or creating individualized professional development plans for faculty, to address challenges and opportunities of teaching diverse international students.
Faculty Development Manager: Developed and launched a brand-new faculty Center for Teaching and Learning, designed as a resource for faculty, offering professional development courses, workshops, and programs to improve online teaching practices. Created a Faculty Performance Model to standardize how faculty classroom performance is evaluated. Developed, launched, and delivered a brand-new Faculty New Hire Orientation Training program to help assess faculty candidates and acculturate them to relevant policies, processes, and procedures. Authored and delivered Open and Remedial Faculty Workshops. Authored a Faculty Handbook and Writing Center Handbook.
Curriculum Development: Developed hundreds of courses for undergraduate and graduate degree programs, including the following: EBUS5423 Data Analytics and Reporting, EBUS5433 Law Labor and Negotiations, EBUS5443 Risk Management, LEAD5583 Career and Professional Development, LEAD5603 Compliance and Reporting, LEAD5623 The Economics of Community College, EBUS5413 Operations and Facility Management
Leadership and Management: Successfully managed a team of six Corporate Trainers. Responsibilities included managing schedules and estimating costs of training operations. Managed the training department budget and inventory. Recruited, interviewed, hired and trained new trainers. Evaluated new training requests and scheduled course development based upon priority levels. Conducted Train the Trainer sessions: One-on-one and through classes and workshops. Conducted classroom observations and prepared trainer evaluations.
Doctor of Philosophy in Education
Specialization: Postsecondary and Adult Education (4.0 GPA), Capella University, Minneapolis, Minnesota (Conferral Date: May 31, 2010)
Certificate: Training and Performance Improvement
Capella University, Minneapolis, Minnesota (09/30/2005) (4.0 GPA)
Master of Science, Education – Emphasis in Adult Education
Capella University, Minneapolis, Minnesota (06/30/2004) (4.0 GPA)
Master of Business Administration (MBA)
University of Phoenix, Las Vegas, Nevada (07/17/2000) (3.87 GPA)
Dr. J's Welcome Video from his new YouTube Channel.
Please visit Dr. J's Brand-New YouTube Channel.
Dr. J published the following resources:
- Transform Adult Education: Expert Teaching Strategies for Educators,
- Transform Online Teaching: Expert Strategies and Essential Resources Every Educator Needs,
- Appreciative Andragogy: Taking the Distance Out of Distance Learning,
- Getting Down to Business: A Handbook for Adjunct Faculty Who Teach Business
To learn more about these transformative professional development resources, please visit: http://www.drbruceajohnson.com/resources-and-store
To learn more about Dr. Bruce A. Johnson, please visit: